This week the president delivers the State of the Union address … RELAX … I’m not here to discuss politics … but it got me thinking … what would I say if I had to deliver an annual assessment of the state of my marital union … to Karen and the rest of our family? So let me challenge you with those same thoughts …
These speeches always start with good news … the things we’re doing well and the things we can celebrate … how many of these can you say?
- We’re communicating on a rapport (emotional) versus report (fact) level?
- We’re making regular spiritual connections?
- We’re making regular physical connections?
- We resolve our conflicts / issues with win/win scenarios?
- We’re an effective parenting team?
- We enjoy regular “alone time” together?
- We are serving the Lord together?
- We feel “safe” to share how we really feel with each other …
Let’s go through that same list and see what things need to be strengthened … or improved …
Now it’s time to do a little strategic thinking … what are some threats to your marriage that may be lingering on the horizon? There are active threats … things you are experiencing now … and future threats … the things you don’t even see coming …
- Money: job changes, bankruptcy, retirement …
- Parenting failures: your children’s failures
- ex-spouses, step children, empty nest
- In laws: your lack of “leaving,” and their intrusion, control
- Addictions: alcohol, porn, romance, gambling, shopping
- You’re having that same fight over and over again
- Emotional … physical … spiritual intimacy
- Leftovers: emotional baggage and unresolved issues from prior relationships
- Broken Trust: hearts and eyes begin to wander, boredom, emotional or physical infidelity
- Health: chronic conditions illness grows worse
- Commitment erosion / apathy with God and spouse … stop caring
- Changes in your & spouse’s needs … aging
Let me challenge you to spend some time this week as a couple to go over the state of your marital union … and to talk about how you plan to strengthen your strengths, minimize your weaknesses and eliminate those threats …
Our marriage intensives are more than a couple’s weekend retreat. They are intimate, personalized coaching sessions designed to help you identify and address your specific needs. Intensives are more powerful than one hour counseling sessions because they keep you both focused on your issues for an extended period of time. You will receive over 15 hours of personalized counseling, coaching and marriage building exercises that will fan the flame of your marriage back to life.
– Jan. 15-17, 2016 (Black Rock Retreat) Lancaster, Pa
– Feb. 26-28, (Sandy Cove) Md
– March 18-20, (Sandy Cove) Md
3 Tickets Left … Grab ’em for Valentine’s Day!!